Series SAH SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument
Quad Flow Design Technology, Predictive Balancing
The SERIES SAH SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument is the most accurate and easy to operate air flow hood on the market. By using the included hood stand and wireless communications to the handheld, a single operator can balance a branch in less time than traditional balancing teams. Besides being lighter than most traditional capture hoods, the ergonomic design makes the Series SAH easy to maneuver, with less physical stress. The rugged polypropylene base hood features Quad Flow Design Technology for controlling air flow and minimizing back pressure, which yields superior measurement accuracy. The Wi-Fi direct communication gives reliable communication with a distance of up to 200 yards (183 m) between the hood and the handheld test instrument. The SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument includes the PredictAir™ Application Software which reduces the number of steps in the air flow balancing process using Predictive Balancing’s Express Balance mode. Predictive Balancing is a method of predicting the optimal flow set point for each register and the order in which they should be adjusted.
Note: For full functionality and versatility, the A-SAH-12P is required for
operation of all SAH models.
Note: For full functionality and versatility, the A-SAH-12P is required for operation of all SAH models.
Dwyer Instruments, Inc. was recognized for excellence in product design in the 13th and 14th annual Dealer Design Awards Program sponsored by The Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News magazine. An independent panel of contractors acted as judges in the contest that had over 80 entries. The company’s SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument was the Bronze Award Winner in the Testing and Monitoring product category and the PredictAir™ Application Software was a Gold Award Winner in the Contractor Services and Software category. The ACHR News is the leading trade magazine in the heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and refrigeration industries. To read the full announcements, please visit http://www.dwyer-inst.com/DDAWinners.
- Commissioning, testing, adjusting and balancing volumetric air flow from diffusers, grilles, and registers in HVAC systems
Models & Ordering
- VOLUME FLOW
- CFM, m3/h, l/s.
- Volume Flow Ranges:
- Supply: 40 to 2000 CFM (68 to 3398 m3/h) (19 to 944 l/s); Exhaust: 80 to 2000 CFM (136 to 3398 m3/h) (38 to 944 l/s).
- Accuracy > 40 CFM:
- ±3% of reading ±7 CFM (11.9 m3/hr) (3.3 l/s)*.
- 1 CFM (1.7 m³/h) (.5 l/s).
- Power Requirements:
- 3.6 V NCR18650B MH12210 lithium ion battery, included, user replaceable or (4) 1.5 V AA alkaline batteries, not included, user replaceable.
- Housing Material:
- 5.75 lb (2.6 kg).
- Agency Approvals:
- CE, FCC, IC.
- Patent pending Quad Flow Design Technology directs the circulating air patterns to provide a more even air flow that minimizes backpressure enabling accurate readings
- Patent pending Predictive Balancing is a process that guides the balancing technician on setting the optimal flow set point for each sequential terminal. With the PredictAir™ Application Software, the balancing process takes much less time than traditional air balancing methods
- The ergonomic design is much lighter and easier to work with than the existing bulky air hoods, providing greater maneuverability and less physical strain. One technician can complete the air balancing
- Wi-Fi direct wireless communication provides a range up to 200 yards (183 m)
- -LB Less lithium battery (for international shipments only)
|Model Number||Description||Usually Ships||Price||Order|
|A-SAH-RH||Replacement Smart Air Hood without handheld test instrument||Less Than 1 Week||$495.00||Order|
|A-SAH-12P||4.5´ to 12´ (1.4 m x 3.7 m) extendable pole (required for operation for all SAH models)||Same Day||$60.00||Order|
|A-SAH-SC||Replacement Smart Air Hood travel case||Less Than 1 Week||$400.00||Order|
|A-SAH-CK||Replacement calibration kit, includes: sensor module and 4 quad flow sensing grids||Less Than 1 Week||$495.00||Order|
|A-SAH-14S||Canvas hood 1' x 4' (0.3 m x 1.2 m)||Same Day||$150.00||Order|
|A-SAH-24S||Canvas hood, 2' x 4' (0.6 m x 1.2 m)||Same Day||$150.00||Order|
|A-SAH-BK||Adapter base kit for canvas hoods, (required with first purchase) for use with A-SAH-14S, A-SAH-24S, A-SAH-15S and A-SAH-33S.||Same Day||$550.00||Order|
- FAQ's for the SMART Air Hood®
- Adapter Hoods - Instruction Manual
- SMART Air Hood Quick Start Guide
- Recalibration Return Pack
- PredictAir Application Software
- SMART Air Hood Bal Instr (multi-lingual pgs)
- SMART Air Hood Bal Instrument
- Adapter Hoods - Instruction Manual
Product Data Sheet
- What is Quad Flow?
- Traditional industry cone shaped air flow hoods experience two main problems when measuring flow registers; poor accuracy of flow readings and back pressure compensation. These factors contribute to wasted energy and poor performance. Dwyer’s patent pending, state of the art, Quad Flow Design concept is based on controlling the recirculating air patterns that can create back pressure effects, while mixing the flow more evenly and efficiently. This well mixed flow for velocity sampling leads to superior measurement accuracy.
- Where do I go for help on how to use the SMART Air Hood®?
- The Dwyer website is an excellent source for product information. Videos are available illustrating the SMART Air Hood® features and benefits as well as how to use for balancing. In addition to the Dwyer website, the Dwyer Technical Support Team is available to take your phone calls and assist with questions. Please visit www.dwyer-inst.com for contact information and technical support on the SMART Air Hood®.
- What type of battery is in the SMART Air Hood®?
- The SMART Air Hood® operates with a NCR 18650B MH12210 lithium ion rechargeable battery, 3.6v. In addition, 4 AA batteries can be used as backup so the SMART Air Hood® is always available for use.
- Can the SMART Air Hood® accommodate various size diffusers?
- Yes, various size canvas hoods with an adaptor are available as accessories for the SAH Consult the Dwyer Instruments website, www.dwyer-inst.com for details.
- Can I store my results for future reference?
- Yes, the SMART Air Hood® mobile meter includes job based logging that will track the entire balancing process from beginning to end including a balance summary that shows the actual final flow at each register and the deviation from target. Each branch is considered a job. All of the registers for a job can be setup ahead of time and distributed prior to performing the balance. Setup and modifications to the setup can also be done onsite. Jobs can be paused and resumed allowing for additional activities, breaks, maintenance, without disrupting the balancing process.
- What is the range of the handheld device that comes with the SAH?
- The SAH uses Wi-Fi Direct for communications. Wi-Fi Direct allows the SMART Air Hood® to create a Wi-Fi connection directly to the Dwyer handheld instrument. There is no need for additional equipment needed, like a router. The range is up to 200 yards.
- Can it be shipped as air freight to the job?
- Yes. The SMART Air Hood® is shipped with a protective carrying case durable enough to be shipped air freight. Please note that there are shipping restrictions for lithium batteries; consult your carrier prior to shipping.
- How much does it weigh and what are the dimensions?
- Dwyer’s SMART Air Hood® is a revolutionary crate design made from a rugged polymer construction. The lightweight design represents the smallest and most aerodynamic design the industry has ever seen. The SMART Air Hood® weighs less than 6 pounds and ¼ the height of current industry air hoods at 24"x24"x12".
- Is a protective case provided for the SMART Air Hood®?
- Yes, the SMART Air Hood® is shipped in a protective travel case as standard. The price is included, there is no extra charge.
- What is the warranty?
- The SMART Air Hood® has a 1 year warranty.
- Where do I send the SMART Air Hood® to be calibrated?
- Recalibration of the SMART Air Hood® is fast and easy. Dwyer recommends recalibrating the Hood, at a minimum, once a year to ensure maximum performance. When it is time for recalibration, simply detach, by unclipping the clamps on all four sides, the four Quad Flow Sensing Grids along with the Sensor Module. The Quad Flow Sensing Grids and Sensor Module need to be calibrated together. For your convenience, Dwyer includes with each purchase of a SMART Air Hood® a custom return calibration package specifically designed for the four Quad Flow Sensing Grids and Sensor Module. To ensure no downtime, you can purchase a new set of four calibrated Quad Flow Sensing Grids and Sensor Module, model A-SAH-CK part number 100765-09, ready to install on the jobsite. You can return the original four Quad Flow Sensing Grids and Sensor Module in the custom return package to Dwyer using our RMA process or to any authorized Dwyer calibration service company. Once The Quad Flow Sensing Grids and Sensor Module are calibrated, they will be returned as a set back to you, ready to install on your SMART Air Hood®.
- What is Predictive Balancing?
- The current industry method of balancing is commonly referred to as proportional balancing. Proportional balancing determines the flow between each terminal and the key. The key flow changes with each adjustment of any given terminal, so the balancing technician must estimate a flow for the terminal and adjust the key and the terminal until the correct proportion is achieved. The SMART Air Hood® is designed to provide Predictive Balancing™, an industry first for air flow balancing. Predictive balancing guides the balancing technician on where to go to set the proper flow for each register allowing the system to be fully optimized. The SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument includes the PredictAir™ Application Software which reduces the number of steps in the air flow balancing process using Predictive Balancing’s Express Balance mode. Predictive Balancing is a method of predicting the optimal flow set point for each register and the order in which they should be adjusted.
- Why should I buy a SMART Air Hood®?
- The SERIES SAH SMART Air Hood® Balancing Instrument is the most accurate and easy to operate air flow hood on the market. By using the included hood stand and wireless communications to the handheld, a single operator can balance a branch in less time than traditional balancing teams. Besides being lighter than most traditional capture hoods, the ergonomic design makes the Series SAH easy to maneuver, with less physical stress. The rugged polypropylene base hood features patented Quad Flow Design Technology for controlling air flow and minimizing back pressure, which yields superior measurement accuracy. The Wi-Fi direct communication gives reliable communication with a distance of up to 200 yards between the hood and the handheld test instrument.
Photo DownloadsYou must be logged in to view this content.
Click here to login to your account.