Series PLS Paddle Level Switch
Weatherproof and Explosion Proof Option, Rotary Paddle Level Control, Top or Side Mounting for Dry Bulk Materials
Incorporated in the design of the PLS is a magnetic drive that is time proven by decades of use in our Mark Series valve position indicator product line. A 1 rpm synchronous motor rotates the paddle, utilizing a magnetic drive. As product builds up, the paddle is impeded from moving and the resulting motor torque activates the output switches and stops the motor. A spring mechanism reactivates the motor and returns the switches to normal state when the product no longer impedes the paddle rotation.
Standard construction is weatherproof with explosion-proof optional, and the unit can be side or top mounted. The PLS is designed with the industry standard 1-1/4" male NPT connection and mounting flanges.
- Food and beverage
Models & Ordering
- Dry powder or bulk materials compatible with wetted materials.
- Minimum material density of 5 lb/ft³ (80 kg/m³), maximum of 200 lb/ft³ (3200 kg/m³).
- Wetted Materials:
- Paddles: 316 SS. Exposed Shaft: 316 SS. Shaft Seal: PTFE. Mounting Boss: Aluminum. Flexible Coupling: 316 SS. Mounting Flanges: Carbon Steel or 316 SS. Shaft Extension and Shaft Guards: Galvanized Steel or 316 SS.
- Temperature Limits:
- Standard Construction: Process: -40 to 300°F (-40 to 148.9°C), Ambient: -40 to 185°F (-40 to 85°C); High Temperature: Process: -40 to 500°F (-40 to 260°C), Ambient: -40 to 185°F (-40 to 85°C).
- Pressure Limit:
- 30 psig (2.07 bar) maximum for .5 micron or larger material.
- Power Requirement:
- Select by part number: 110-120 VAC, 230 VAC, 24 VAC, 48 VAC, or 12 VDC.
- Power Consumption:
- Weatherproof models: 5 watts, Explosion-proof models: 3 watts.
- Aluminum, powder coated.
- Enclosure Rating:
- Weatherproof (W, WH construction): NEMA 4X, Explosion-proof (E, EH construction): NEMA 4X and rated for Class I, Div. 1 & 2, Groups C & D, Div. 1 & 2, Groups E, F, & G.
- Switch Type:
- SPDT or optional DPDT snap switch.
- Electrical Rating:
- 15 A @ 120.
- Electric Connections:
- Screw terminals.
- Conduit Connection:
- 3/4" female NPT.
- Process Connection:
- 1-1/4" male NPT. Optional flange.
- Indication Light:
- Red LED that activates when switch is made or when switch is not made with RL option (not available on Explosion-proof models).
- Time Delay Relay Option:
- Five field adjustable ranges from 0-1 to 0-31 minutes. (RL option not available, DPDT option not available with 230 VAC time delay).
- Control head only: 4 lb (1.81 kg).
- Agency Approvals:
- cUL, UL approved as an auxiliary device or as an auxiliary device for hazardous locations.
- Magnetic drive that isolates and completely seals the control head from the process and environment preventing material or dust from entering the control head.
- Motor shuts-off when paddle stalls increasing motor life, preventing motor burnout, and decreasing power usage.
- Slip clutch design enabled by the magnetic drive that prevents damage to motor and drive mechanism from sudden or excessive loading on the paddle.
- Status indication light on weatherproof models.
- Screw cover on the enclosure for easy access with no worries about losing bolts or screws.
- Modular design to allow field installation of any paddle, flanges, shaft extensions, or shaft guards.
- Flexible coupling available for protection of the paddle and drive from side loads, surges or impacts. Recommended for top mount applications with shaft extension and applications with large or heavy materials.
- Contact the factory for pricing of shaft extensions, protective shields, and other options. More detailed information available in our Measurement & Control for Powder, Dust, and Bulk Materials Catalog.
|Model Number||Description||Usually Ships*||Price||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-006||6" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$23.65||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-012||12" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$32.05||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-018||18" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$40.45||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-024||24" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$48.85||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-036||36" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$65.65||Order|
|PLS-EXT-GS-048||48" galvanized extension.||1-2 Weeks||$82.45||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-006||6" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$33.45||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-012||12" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$43.65||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-018||18" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$53.85||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-024||24" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$64.05||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-030||30" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$74.25||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-036||36" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$84.45||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-042||42" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$94.65||Order|
|PLS-EXT-SS-048||48" stainless extension.||1-2 Weeks||$104.85||Order|
|FLG-CSF||Carbon steel mounting flange with full coupling.||Next Day||$30.75||Order|
|FLG-CSH||Carbon steel mounting flange with half coupling.||Next Day||$27.75||Order|
|FLG-SSF||316 SS mounting flange with full coupling.||1-2 Weeks||$88.00||Order|
|FLG-SSH||316 SS mounting flange with half coupling.||1-2 Weeks||$72.50||Order|
|PDL-1||Carbon steel paddle with half coupling.
Minimum bulk density of 5 lb/ft³ (80 kg/m³).
|PDL-2||Carbon steel paddle with full coupling.
Minimum bulk density of 30 lb/ft³ (481kg/m³).
|PDL-3||316 SS paddle with half coupling.
Minimum bulk density of 30 lb/ft³ (481 kg/m³). Fits through a 1-1/4" coupling eliminating the need for a mounting flange.
|PDL-4||316 SS paddle with full coupling.
Minimum bulk density of 70 lb/ft³ (1122 kg/m³). Fits through 1-1/4" coupling eliminating the need for a mounting flange.
|EXAMPLE||PLS||W||S||1||1||CSF||GS||GS||012||FC||Series PLS-W-S-1-1-CSF-GS-GS-012-FC Paddle Level Switch, weatherproof enclosure, SPDT, 110-120 VAC, low density paddle, carbon steel with full coupling, 12" 1/4 NPS galvanized steel shaft extension and protective shield, with flexible coupling.|
|SERIES||PLS||Paddle Level Switch|
Weatherproof High Temperature
Explosion-proof High Temperature
DPDT (dual SPDT switches)
DPDT Time Delay, 120 VAC
SPDT Time Delay, 230 VAC
230 VAC with CE approval (Not valid with E, EH, TD1, TD2)
Low Density Paddle (PDL-1)
Medium Density Paddle (PDL-2)
Banana Paddle (PDL-3)
High Density Paddle (PDL-4)
No Mounting Flange
Carbon Steel with Half Coupling (FLG-CSH)
Carbon Steel with Full Coupling (FLG-CSF)
316SS with Half Coupling (FLG-SSH)
316SS with Full Coupling (FLG-SSF)
1/4 NPS Galvanized Steel
1/4 NPS 316SS
1/4 NPS Galvanized Steel
1/4 NPS 316SS
Flexible Coupling (CPL-FLX)
No Indicator Lights
Reversed Light - Light Indication when Paddle Freely Rotates
316SS Housing, Cover, Mounting Boss
- What are the two dry product level switch model types? What ranges do they cover? How are they adjusted? How many set-points do they have?
- GSD3DA - gravity (elastomer) suspension, aluminum housing, polyurethane diaphragm, standard 15 amp switch. PSD16A - pneumatic (fabric), suspension, aluminum housing, filter fabric diaphragm, polyester 150 micron permeability, standard 15 amp switch. They can be adjusted to any level. They are adjusted by a screw adjustment. One setpoint available. For additional options, you could look at our CLS2 Series Capacitive Level Switch, TFLS Series Tuning Fork Level Switch, PLS and PLS2 Series Paddle Level Switches.
- What is the key feature of both Proximity position indicators and level switches that sets these products apart from all competitors?
- Magnetic coupling.
Photo DownloadsYou must be logged in to view this content.
Click here to login to your account.